Sunday, October 14, 2007

Safe Sleep

As I work in the field of maternal and child health, and frequently deal with 'Safe Sleep' issues, I wanted to get on my soap box for a moment and take this opportunity to point out the safety features in Helena's crib. Here's her crib:


You'll notice I use a breathable bumper- lots of holes for air flow. Traditional bumpers pose a hazard and are not recommended.


Here's the inside of her crib:

You'll notice that there's nothing in Helena's crib besides Helena and a 'safe sleep' blanket, also full of holes. Best option is no blanket at all, especially for younger babies. She's on her back, never on her tummy.

I remove any toys from the crib after she's fallen asleep. For more information on safe sleep, see:

http://www.cdc.gov/SIDS/sleepenvirnoment.htm

1 comment:

Tish said...

I have the breathable bumper for matthew, too. Where did you get the breathable blanket? She sure is a beauty! I love the photo of her in the red dress!

hope you are both sleeping!
tish